Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The pitfalls of multi-tasking~~

Ok, sew I like to taut myself as a multi-tasker….sometimes even multi-tasker to the 5th power. Currently, I am on vacation from multi-tasking.


I have learned in doing a small amount of research that experts are finding that multitasking can put us under a great deal of stress and actually make us less efficient. I am beginning to see multi-tasking as an annoyance.


As of late, I have lost all patience with those multi-taskers who walk and text at the same time. I have invented a phrase I like to call “text bumping”…..which comes from that mindless person who is texting on his or her mobile device and not paying attention to the universe…(as in the universe that does not revolve solely around the text bumper) I am the one who “gets the bump” as I am minding my own business. If you get the bump while enjoying that wonderful cup of Dunkin Donuts, all hell can break loose. Words can be exchanged that are less than friendly. Text bumpers beware.


And…you cannot simultaneously e-mail and successfully have a phone conversation. I think we’re all familiar with “e-mail voice,” when someone you’re talking with on the phone suddenly sounds confused and asks you to repeat yourself…repeatedly. This creates stress for the person who is not doing the emailing. Stress raises the blood pressure, and Lord only knows what other health issues can come of it. People, let us focus on the caller and not the email. However, if it is a really annoying family member, give yourself a pass.


Now I do believe there is a difference between multitasking and not being able to focus.


Case in point: husband who is in the background chatting while you are concentrating on dinner -- trying to make 4 items cook at the same time to hit the plate looking edible at exactly the same moment. As you are stirring gravy and putting the veggies in the microwave he says…”stocks were up today”. Your response: Yes, I already TOLD you your socks are in the dryer, now lay off. Well, sew much for a lovely dinner.


There is also a difference between not being able to focus and letting the voices in your head take over. For today I am going to find some little bit of comfort in listening to the voices. Maybe tomorrow I will consider multi-tasking.

4 comments:

agoodwitchtoo said...

Multi-tasking has never been my cup of tea. I can barely walk a straight line of my own accord. Text, walk, talk, chew gum, and breathe all at once? This to me is disaster, or a trip to the ER, just waiting to happen.

Throw in a bright shiny object to distract me... Now I have to go take the clothes out of the dryer! Thanks for the reminder :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

LOL! I swear to you - tears were produced from the laughter inspired by this phrase of yours:

"Yes, I already TOLD you your socks are in the dryer, now lay off."

LOL!!!!!

Laura Rose said...

I thought I'd stop by and say hi. I enjoyed chatting with you today on rose's show. Love your creations and agree wholeheartedly with your post!

storybeader said...

very cute. I live adjacent to a army base, and it's now illegal to hold a phone and talk while driving on base! Good idea. So many people believe they can multi-task while driving. NOT!